Where Freaks Talk :: View topic - City on the water
graphic logo logo graphic graphic  

City on the water This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
 Where Freaks Talk Forum Index -> Photo Gallery.  
 PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:36 pm 

+Lakini+

City on the water

As promised, pictures from my five days in Venice. I should probably mention that I took exactly 0 pics with my camera, because I was in the company of five Architecture students who took around 3.500 pics together.

First of all, the company:

This is Iulia, one of my best friends. She's among the most caring people I know and she's great fun to be around:

This is Raluca, also a very good friend and co-author for the comic we published early this month and the manga we are planning for next November:

Alexandra is currently studying Architecture in Thessaloníki, but she's Romanian. I first met her during an Architecture workshop I dropped by to see:

Ama is Iulia and Raluca's colleague:

And Denis also studies Architecture, but his passion is fashion design. We actually got to talk a lot about it and he promised to help me make myself a dress for a costume event at the up coming con:

And who's this girl? Confusion

Probably my favorite picture from the trip Smile

On the boat to Venice (I was sleepy)

Ama looking very pigeony:

Denis and Alex:

I love this pic! Raluca was trying to set her camera timer so we could all take a picture together pn the steps of Santa Maria della Salute and she'd managed to line us up together, except everyone kept fidgeting and looking in the wrong direction. It's actually better than the group pic we did manage to take Very Happy

Venice: these are probably the most common sights you will see there: canals and narrow streets:

(we were actually laughing at one point, because a lot of these streets had names like Cale Larga del Whatever, which literally means 'a wide road' . Some of them were 150 cm across and we made our way through one that was only 60 cm across! Also, some streets had names like Cale dei Morti or Cale della Morte - The Road of the Dead/The Road of Death - and Raluca, who doesn't really like tight spaces, kept telling us how she can imagine Plague wandering those little streets in a black cowl during the 14th century Laughing Laughing )

This is Santa Maria della Salute and probably one of the most beautiful things I've seen in Venice:

San Marco Cathedral and the Palazzo dei Dogi:

Ponte di Rialto (a large shopping area as well, with old shops, leather book stores and Murano jewelry)

Shop windows (the mask is the most beautiful one I've seen in the whole city, but it cost 150 euro, so I couldn't afford it)

And some more Venetian sights:

Done! Sorry for the long post.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:48 pm 

Wildman
NotJustaNYOne

Great Post, so no sorry please!!

Love the pictures, and to be honest, you are the prettiest of the group Embarassed Wink

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
 PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:47 pm 

LittleBird

Wildman wrote:

Love the pictures, and to be honest, you are the prettiest of the group Embarassed Wink
No wonder! She's the prettiest in Romania! Wink
I also liked Denis Razz

Laura thanks for this great tour to Venice! The pictures are fantastic, I felt like quoting nearly every pic to praise it!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:25 pm 

mikizle
Mighty Mike

Thanks for posting what you did Laura they all look so beautiful Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:24 pm 

+Lakini+

Thanks. I liked Denis too, by the way, he's a guy you can really talk to, nice company and a killer watercolour artist.

Venice was fantastic, but illogical too. Maybe it's because I got to visit it in the company of five architects that made me notice stuff I wouldn't normally notice, like how streets are built and connected to eachother. The point is, it makes very little sense topographically. There are no signs to indicate that a very narrow street will end in a canal, for example and I daresay that if you're stuck on one of them, there's no lighting around and you don't know the area, you can actually fall into the water! That's a little unsettling.

But all in all it was interesting. Five days without car traffic, or Internet, or eating at a table (we cooked for ourselves, Alexandra brought a portable grill) I'd really like to go back someday, maybe even for the Carnival. I bought two beautiful masks and I hope I'll get the chance to use one Smile

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:31 pm 

LittleBird

+Lakini+ wrote:
I bought two beautiful masks and I hope I'll get the chance to use one Smile
Put it on and show us Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:36 pm 

+Lakini+

I will, but I have to unpack them first. They traveled on a plane in the cargo luggage section and until I saw them safe at home I was really nervous. I'll try to take some pics tomorrow.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:04 pm 

LittleBird

Yes

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:09 am 

Binah

Re: City on the water

Well, I just had to quote this one Razz and tell you that I'm absolutely in love with this gorgeous, romantic, mysterious and what-not sight....

Sigh, it's so beautiful.... Wink

+Lakini+ wrote:

I'm soooooo jealous of you. Of the places in the world I would want to go to, this is defenitely one of them.
But I'm not really jealous, because it seems like you had an amzing time and that is all that matters! Great Pics! Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:29 am 

Ed
Administrator

Soooooooo nice!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:30 am 

+Lakini+

Re: City on the water

Binah wrote:

I'm soooooo jealous of you. Of the places in the world I would want to go to, this is defenitely one of them.
But I'm not really jealous, because it seems like you had an amzing time and that is all that matters! Great Pics! Very Happy

Bianca, Venice is really quite affordable. We lived at a camping site and the accommodation was 100 euro for 5 days per person (the rooms were small and minimal, but really you didn't need much else) And you can eat very well with 10 Euro a day, transportation from the camping to the city was 40 Euro for 5 days also, so that only leaves money for souvenirs and gifts. If you don't take those into account, you can spend five lovely days there with less than 200 Euro.

I say if you ever have the chance, go for it, it's an exciting city.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:14 am 

Heropsychosacha
Overcomer

Wildman wrote:

I couldn't agree more!

Jump to:  

Further options