Where Freaks Talk :: View topic - Culture and Geography discussion topic!!
graphic logo logo graphic graphic  

Culture and Geography discussion topic!! This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
 Where Freaks Talk Forum Index -> Buttoms up! Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next 
 PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:51 am 

Wildman
NotJustaNYOne

Culture and Geography discussion topic!!

Have have read your discussion in the "Moscow Photo Trip" about the European Culture and Geography of Europe and more about the east of Europe......

I have somthing to say to.:

When I was at school a long long time ago....we learned that Russia is a part of Europe (Russia was a part of the USSR in that time) and that the land behind the Ural was in fact Azia...so to be geographacilly exact...Russia is in two different continent, just like Turkey.....only a 'bit' bigger......

About the dozens of 'extra' country these days in the middle and southeast of europe....they were not mentioned in my time (F#ck I am old Wink )

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
 PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:28 am 

+Lakini+

Re: Culture and Geography discussion topic!!

Wildman wrote:

About the dozens of 'extra' country these days in the middle and southeast of europe....they were not mentioned in my time (F#ck I am old Wink )

Hey, personally I'm a 'Transition Baby' (meaning that I was about 4 when the communist regime in Romania fell) so I mostly grew up in a society fighting to find its own identity again.
I don't think we managed because Romanians have this thing, which has been proven on a historical basis: we 'borrow' things from others, like attitudes, fashion, concepts etc. Everyone does this at some point, but I think we tend to do it a little more.
Right after 1989 I remember there was this 'American fever' thing: everything American was really really cool, from drinks to words, and you can see the influence today, even if it's less of it. I find it funny that highschool kids dress as rappers and try to talk like them... Anyway, now we're big on 'European values' even though half the population is not entirely sure what those are. And I personally think it's a little more suitable for us. The EU admission was a huge deal over here.
I don't think we managed to find the idenitity we're looking for. Most people I know who are my age (including myself) have a very unstable referrence system. Communism meant that at least there were some values you were educated to recognize. Democracy is all good and fine, but they're not doing it the right way here Rolling Eyes

... At least that's how I feel about it. Sorry if I went offtopic. I have a Comparative Politics exam in an hour. Bonk

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:32 am 

Wildman
NotJustaNYOne

Good luck with the exam my dear, and it is not entirely off-topic sweety, it is a part of culture...and the borrowing thing is something everybody does... Wink

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
 PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:39 am 

+Lakini+

Do you know what Hitler had to say about 'borrowing' cultures? Razz

He was inspired by a number of theories in Geopolitics (Hitler gave Geopolitics a bad name, that's mostly why the academic world is so reluctant towards them lately) He considered there are three types of societies: those that create cultures (Germans he said, of course), those that are able to replicate and preserve those cultures already created (Slavic and Romanic cultures) and destructive socieies (guess what, Jews and Roma)

No, I think every country/region is able to create and preserve its own original cultural patterns. We all borrow of course, but borrowing too much just kills off diversity. And I feel this is what happens in Romania.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:41 am 

Ed
Administrator

Now look at where this identity took Syria and Lebanon. Nasralla asks them to put the guns down and go home, while 70% of people support him yesterday there started another domestic war for Lebanon...

Good luck Laurie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:45 am 

+Lakini+

Syria and Lebanon have so many issues between them it's a wonder they're still on the map. And US involvement is one of their most serious problems.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:49 am 

Wildman
NotJustaNYOne

+Lakini+ wrote:
Syria and Lebanon have so many issues between them it's a wonder they're still on the map. And US involvement is one of their most serious problems.

True,...but Lebanon was a free and wealthy country, before Syria was messing it up.... Sad

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:49 am 

+Lakini+

But I have a suggestion for this topic, since I'm interested in culture discussions. Maybe we should think about a culture topic and start discussing it in more detail?

Here's what I suggest, because my thesis is centered on this subject and I'd like to hear some opinions: do you think there is such a thing as European identity? I mean apart from national identities, something that adds to them. And if yes, what makes it what it is? Wink

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:55 am 

Ed
Administrator

errrrrrrrrrrrrr huh? Shocked

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:06 am 

Wildman
NotJustaNYOne

Hmmm interesting question:

European Identity, what is it?

First of all I think our (Europe) identity is very old and very diverse.....Europe is conquered by many different country's who left their identity's everywhere....

The Vikings, The Romans, The Moors, The Spanish, and The Germans etc. etc.

As you can see everywhere in Europe there are a lot of castles where the leaders lived and ruled with lots of knights.

Also the Roman Katholic Church was very indoctrinating the leaders and people, they also have slaughtered a lot of innocent people, only they didn't want to listen and believe in their preaches...

Overall I think the European Identity is still growing now we are more in peace with eachother, and we are also trying to respect eachother.
(this fantastic board is the major exception, because we all respect eachother Very Happy )
I think the diversity in Europe is our Identity.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:22 am 

Ed
Administrator

Afiirmed by introduction of EURO, I bet

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:24 am 

Heropsychosacha
Overcomer

Interesting.....very interesting.

What do we this about this map?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:27 am 

Ed
Administrator

What do weWHAT?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:29 am 

Heropsychosacha
Overcomer

Sorry: I meant what do we think about this map? Razz

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:46 am 

Wildman
NotJustaNYOne

Heropsychosacha wrote:
Sorry: I meant what do we think about this map? Razz

I think it is very colorfull Razz

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:47 am 

LittleBird

Ohhh, I'll tell you what, Lithuania wants to be colored blue! Badly! Laughing

Laurie, I read what you wrote abiout Romania, and it fits my country perfectly. Even though they keep talking about their own identity, at the same time they borrow everything. When we tried to become part of EU, we had this word "euro-" just everywhere. Europolitics, eurostyle, we even had eurocake god damn it! Bonk

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:57 am 

Ed
Administrator

I think we are bigger Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:54 pm 

Echo
Extreme Wall Of Live

LittleBird wrote:
we even had eurocake god damn it! Bonk

Rolling Eyes СРАЗУ!!!! i meant CRAZY Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:01 pm 

Ed
Administrator

Bugoga Exclamation

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:53 pm 

+Lakini+

LittleBird wrote:
we even had eurocake god damn it! Bonk

This reminds me of the Serbian embargo cake... It was said it's the kind of cake made without any eggs, milk, flour or sugar Laughing Laughing
OK, we never got that far, although I wouldn't be surprised if someone came up with European foodstuff... After all, someone came up with a 'manea' version of Ode to Joy earlier this month... (do you know what 'manea' is?)

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Jump to:  

Further options