Where Freaks Talk :: View topic - Culture and Geography discussion topic!!
graphic logo logo graphic graphic  

Culture and Geography discussion topic!! This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
 Where Freaks Talk Forum Index -> Buttoms up! Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next 
 PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:55 pm 

lynx
HY-BIRD

http://www.new7wonders.com/nature/en/vote_on_nominees/

vote for bg

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:07 pm 

Wildman
NotJustaNYOne

lynx wrote:
http://www.new7wonders.com/nature/en/vote_on_nominees/

vote for bg

F#cking H@ll That is amazing..........Wowowowowowow.....my Wallpaper @ work it is now....wowowowowow

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
 PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:28 pm 

lynx
HY-BIRD

come visit

today and tomorrow and the day after it's Holi in India, the spring holiday of colors
Happy Holi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:36 am 

+Lakini+

Even though it's a little passed, I've been meaning to tell you about this one:

Here we have a tradition called 'Babele' (The Old Women) which lasts from March 1st to March 9th. According to the tradition, every woman is supposed to choose one of these days for her 'Baba', and it is said that she can predict how her entire year will go based on the day's weather. For example, if it's all sunny, she will have a good year, or if it's cloudy in the morning, but the day clears up afterwards, she will have a difficult beginning of the year, but then everything will be alright.

The origin of this tradition is in an old story about Baba Dochia (Grandmother Dochia), who had to go on a journey crossing the mountains at the beginning of March. Because the weather was capricious, she decided to dress warmly and put on nine overcoats. As she started climbing the mountain, it got very warm, so she took off the first overcoat, the second, the third, and so on. When she finally got to the top, she had no overcoat on, so when the blizzard started, she froze and turned to stone.

(My 'Baba' is on March 7 every year. This year it was rainy in the morning, but very warm in the evening. Even though I don't really believe in this stuff - I keep the 'Baba' tradition because I've been doing it since I was little - I think this time it might mean I'm going to be lucky. I had my dissertation exam on March 7 and got full marks Laughing )

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:26 pm 

LittleBird

+Lakini+ wrote:
Even though it's a little passed, I've been meaning to tell you about this one:

Here we have a tradition called 'Babele' (The Old Women) which lasts from March 1st to March 9th. According to the tradition, every woman is supposed to choose one of these days for her 'Baba', and it is said that she can predict how her entire year will go based on the day's weather. For example, if it's all sunny, she will have a good year, or if it's cloudy in the morning, but the day clears up afterwards, she will have a difficult beginning of the year, but then everything will be alright.

The origin of this tradition is in an old story about Baba Dochia (Grandmother Dochia), who had to go on a journey crossing the mountains at the beginning of March. Because the weather was capricious, she decided to dress warmly and put on nine overcoats. As she started climbing the mountain, it got very warm, so she took off the first overcoat, the second, the third, and so on. When she finally got to the top, she had no overcoat on, so when the blizzard started, she froze and turned to stone.

(My 'Baba' is on March 7 every year. This year it was rainy in the morning, but very warm in the evening. Even though I don't really believe in this stuff - I keep the 'Baba' tradition because I've been doing it since I was little - I think this time it might mean I'm going to be lucky. I had my dissertation exam on March 7 and got full marks Laughing )
Interesting! I'll have to think of my 'Baba' date for the next year Very Happy Smile

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:12 pm 

+Lakini+

Oh, by the way, since it's spring already: I wonder if any of you have ever eaten nettle soup or cream? Nettles are a type of plant whose leaves sting like hell, but if you pick them at the right time of the year and cook them well, they're quite delicious. They've become a sort of 'traditional' early spring dish, along with spinach and orach. They're very healthy after a long winter, because they're rich in vitamins and iron. Personally, I always try to eat as much of these as I can in March and early April. They're gone pretty quickly and you can only find them once a year.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:38 pm 

LittleBird

+Lakini+ wrote:
Oh, by the way, since it's spring already: I wonder if any of you have ever eaten nettle soup or cream? Nettles are a type of plant whose leaves sting like hell, but if you pick them at the right time of the year and cook them well, they're quite delicious. They've become a sort of 'traditional' early spring dish, along with spinach and orach. They're very healthy after a long winter, because they're rich in vitamins and iron. Personally, I always try to eat as much of these as I can in March and early April. They're gone pretty quickly and you can only find them once a year.
I read 'stink like hell' Laughing I thought why, I like how it smells Laughing
Yes. I've eaten the soup a couple of times. But we don't have them here in March yet Wink

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:27 pm 

Wildman
NotJustaNYOne

+Lakini+ wrote:

I have heard of it, but never eaten it.....I know they are quite healthy......and stingy too......it burns.....hahahaha

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
 PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:26 pm 

lynx
HY-BIRD

i've been to pick nettle when i was little, but i don't remeber the taste... probably i didn't like it as a child, now i know many people who love it, so i'm eager to try the soup, i should tell my mom to make some Smile

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:41 pm 

lynx
HY-BIRD

Happy St. Patrick!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:12 am 

Aga
AquaAga

lynx wrote:
Happy St. Patrick!

O I remember !

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:37 am 

+Lakini+

Happy Orthodox Easter!

Hristos a inviat!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:00 pm 

+Lakini+

Nursery Rhymes and Lullabies

OK, I thought this was a bit intriguing to discuss. Feel free to skip if you're not interested.

I recently had a very interesting conversation with a German girl about nursery rhymes, and we reached the conclusion that they are invariably either scary or depressing as hell. We only used English, German and Romanian examples in the conversation, because those were the most accessible at the time.

First I have to tell you, Romanian nursery rhymes are generally reasonable (although we have two particular ones I will tell you about in a minute)
Strangely enough, I don't know many English/American ones, but if they're along the lines of 'Rock-a-by Baby', then they're not very cheerful. After this conversation I learned a lot about German nursery rhymes, and the ones this girl mentioned (Maikäfer flieg, Guten Abend, Gut Nacht, Bi-ba-butzemann) are so depressing!

I remember that in my first year of school (I was 6 and attended a German school) one of the first things they taught us was Hoppe Hoppe Reiter, by way of trying to teach us German, and when they gave us the translation, everyone in class was Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Some of the lyrics are

Hop, hop, rider
If he falls he will be crying.
If he falls into the ditch,
Then the ravens will eat him.

(Interestingly enough, many years later I discovered that Rammstein use this little rhyme in Spielhur, which is oddly appropriate: Hoppe hoppe Reiter/mein Herz schlägt nicht mehr weiter - Hop hop, rider/My heart doesn't beat anymore)

As for Romanian ones, there are two in particular I always found scary/sad:

One is about a fox who steals a goose and the approximate translation would be:

Fox, you've stolen my goose,
Give it back, give it back,
Or I will fetch my gun
And three hound dogs

Or I will hunt you down
And shoot a hole in you
Your fur stained with blood
You will be dead.

Well, something like that. The other one is actually written by a reasonably famous poet, and it's longer and harder to translate. But the general idea is that a little boy has caught a bug and wants to crush it, and the bug tries to plead for his life, saying he's got a family too, and his parents and brother will be heartbroken if he dies... And then the boy crushes it anyway, and goes home and feels sorry for a while. And that's all.

So my questions are:

1. What are some famous nursery rhymes in your own language? (I'd actually be quite interested in this part)
2. Why do you think some of them are so sad? Andrei has this theory that you can sing anything to a baby as long as you do it in a reasonably cheerful voice.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:33 am 

Wildman
NotJustaNYOne

Queen's Day today in Holland we are celebrating today the Birthday of our Queen.....

Funny but lovely fact is, that our Queen is not born on the 30st of April, but on the 31st of January.....

The reason that we are celebrating it today is to honor our former Queen, Queen Juliana...... together with practical reasons like the better weather in April for outdoor activities.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:50 am 

Ed
Administrator

Yup happy Queen's Day, Dutchies!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:19 pm 

Wildman
NotJustaNYOne

Well, maybe you have seen/heard it by now,....but Queen's day is struck by disaster Shocked ....a man driving in a back Suzuki crashed through the fence into the crowd.....killing 4 people injured 13 others (5 of them are seriously hurt)...after that he came to an end of his driving nearby the Royal Family.

The following content is quite shocking...... Crying or Very sad
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYIEZH07vLk

The bus is the place where the Royal Family is seated.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkSZy_hxteI

First indications is that the man did this not unpurpose......f@cker.... Evil or Very Mad

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:31 pm 

Ed
Administrator

Saw it on tv. Quite shocking it is

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:02 pm 

Heropsychosacha
Overcomer

Jeez, no words for this action. We were quite in shock today.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:41 am 

+Lakini+

Not exactly a 'Culture' topic, but since we've also been discussing some politics here, I'd like to ask - as the Political Science student I am Laughing - what do you think of the recent EU Parliament election results?

I will tell you my opinion if you want to discuss this. If not, we'll just drop it Wink

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:46 pm 

Wildman
NotJustaNYOne

Cow

is this clear enough for you Razz Laughing

Where Freaks Talk Forum Index -> Buttoms up!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Jump to:  

Further options