Where Freaks Talk :: View topic - Family history
graphic logo logo graphic graphic  

Family history This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
 Where Freaks Talk Forum Index -> Photo Gallery.  
 PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:34 pm 

+Lakini+

Family history

My parents asked me to scan and retouch a few very old family photographs, and I asked permission to post them, because each has a nice story behind it.

This is my grandfather Nicolae, when he was 20 years old. He was born in 1923 and died last week.

(the text on the back of this photo reads: To my dearest younger brother, a memory before leaving to war. From your older brother, 30.10.1943, Chisinau)

My grandfather and uncle both finished military school and fought in World War II. My uncle was actually on the front lines, and my grandfather was a supplies and logistics officer, also in charge of teams who checked areas for land mines. Although he never actually fought or killed anyone, he was a good officer and by the time he retired, he ranked major. I've heard a lot of 'war stories' from him, some of which even helped me through exams.

This is a photo of three different generations, and my mother thinks it was taken around 1926

The children are my grandfather and uncle. The two people standing are their parents and my great-grand parents, Pavel and Leonida. Pavel was a priest in Basarabia before the Russian occupation in 1940. Afterwards, he and his family came to Bucharest, where he eventually settled near one of the city's biggest cathedrals (St. Spiridon) and he remained there for the rest of his life. My grandfather was seventeen in 1940. Following these events, he began attending military school and got conscripted. When the war was over, he returned to finish his studies and get married. He'd already known and courted my grandmother for seven years.
The eldest ones are his grand-parents. I don't know much about them, other than the fact that they came from a pretty rich family.

And another one:

My great-grandfather died when my mother was around 22. He'd been completely paralysed for 13 years before that, and my mother always tells me how impressed she was with the fact that he never complained, or lost his optimism or acted as though he was a burden to his family during all this time. I wish I'd known him.
My great-grandmother... again, I don't know much about her, but her appearance always put me in mind of those Orthodox icons and church paintings: a very quiet, very gentle presence. I think this look slowly faded with the generations. My mother mostly inherited the features of her own mother and I discovered, a few years back, that I look almost exactly like my other grandmother when she was my age, so I guess Leonida was the last one to have such striking looks.

Sorry for the long post.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:23 pm 

LittleBird

Family history is always interesting to see and to read about! Thanks for sharing this! Your grandfather was born in 1923, same as my grandmother. Too bad we only have one photo of my great-grandmother, as she died young and my granny had this one photograph in her book accidentally when the WWII started and she was in a train and she never got back home since that day... But I've got some old pictures scanned as well, and I'll share some of them with you too.
I agree with what you said about Leonida, her beauty is striking, you cannot not notice that!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:32 pm 

Ed
Administrator

Thanks Laura. This is something truly worth living for.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:38 am 

Schimanski
HUR-MAN

wow, great work on the pics. This is amazing stuff, cherish it my dear.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:17 pm 

mikizle
Mighty Mike

Thanks for sharing

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:42 am 

LittleBird

It was long ago that I promised to share with you the old pics of my family, so here goes: Smile

My granny's (mom's mom's) parents - Olga and Semion (as I said, this is the only one picture of Olga that we have):

My beautiful granny Galina:

Her husband, my granddad Ivan (he was 15 years older than granny):

Both grandparents, older:

My mom, young:

Young dad:

My parents wedding:

This is my most favorite picture from childhood, love the mood, my happy happy childhood: Very Happy

And dad, trying to make us sporty, I wish I could do this now: Mr. Green

And this is me as a child, teen and young girl:

Smile

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:21 am 

+Lakini+

Amazing photos! Very Happy

LittleBird wrote:

I can see who you take after Yes

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:38 am 

Ed
Administrator

Very well done!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:57 am 

Wildman
NotJustaNYOne

Shocked Very Happy Shocked Very Happy WoW, your Granny was a beautiful woman indeed, and yes you can see the BIG resemblence between your mom, you and your daughters Very Happy (all beauty's)

Thanks for sharing!!

Last edited by Wildman on Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
 PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:44 pm 

Heropsychosacha
Overcomer

Oh I always love old pictures. It's just freaky how much you look like your mother. I really thought it was you on the pictures.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:49 pm 

LittleBird

Heropsychosacha wrote:
Oh I always love old pictures. It's just freaky how much you look like your mother. I really thought it was you on the pictures.
Really? I never thought I looked like mom on these pics Smile

Where Freaks Talk Forum Index -> Photo Gallery.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Jump to:  

Further options