Where Freaks Talk :: View topic - Divided Mind Divided Planet (not a link - just info)
graphic logo logo graphic graphic  

Divided Mind Divided Planet (not a link - just info) Post new topic   Reply to topic
 Where Freaks Talk Forum Index -> General Band Information and Tour Information  
 PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:46 am 

Ed
Administrator

Divided Mind Divided Planet (not a link - just info)

Credit: Swami

The cassette sold on eBay for $565.27 on June 5, 2007. The write-up from the seller was as follows:

THIS IS NOT A BOOTLEG! THIS IS AN EXTREMELY RARE DEMO MADE BY PUBLIC AFFECTION RIGHT BEFORE THEY BECAME LIVE. IT WAS GIVEN TO FANS ON REQUEST IN 1990 . CIRCUMSTANCES OF THE DEMO ARE EXPLAINED BY THE PUBLIC AFFECTION NEWSLETTER, "BLACK COFFEE." THE TAPE IS SIGNED BY ED, AND BOTH CHADS (SEE PICTURES).

THE AUCTION IS FOR BOTH THE TAPE AND THE NEWSLETTER.

"Divided Mind, Divided Planet" (1990) - Public Affection (original name of LIVE)

Pain Lies on the Riverside, Bothers Unaware, Waterboy, Operation Spirit, Peace is Now

This tape is a five song demo recorded by the band Public Affection in 1990 before they changed their name to LIVE. The tape was produced by Jay Healy. The copyright is 1990; The tape states "All songs written and preformed by public affection." Versions of these songs would appear on the LIVE album, "Mental Jewelry." This tape offers a unique opportunity to see the progression of this band as they moved from their public affection / "the death of a dictionary" period into the LIVE "Mental Jewelry period.

Public Affection distributed the tape to fans who requested copies of it through the mail. The distrubution of the tape is discribed by the Public Affection newsletter, "Black Coffee," which states the following:

"A few months ago Public Affection recorded a five song demo with Producer/Engineer Jay Healy. By contract we are not allowed to sell "Divided Mind, Divided Planet", however we may give it away.

"If you wish to help wake up the world send a blank tape and a check for two dollars (to cover postage) and we will make a copy of "Divided Mind, Divided Planet" for you. Go ahead and make copies for you friends, we need all the help we can get." (See images for this quote)

The tape offered here is an orignal copy made by the band. The insert contains the lyrics for the songs, as well as information about the management of Public Affection. The insert has also been autographed by Ed Kowalczyk (vocals - as ed.), Chad Taylor (guitar) and Chad Gracey (drums). The tape was signed at a CD signing for Mental Jewelry in Lancaster, PA at the now defunct BBC Records. The dedication is to "Larry."

To prove the legitimacy of this item, The tape comes with the copy of the Public Affection newsletter, called "Black Coffee," which describes this tape. This newsletter, and others like it, were distrubuted at Public Affection shows and through the band's mailing list. Any LIVE collector would want this Newletter alone. The tape and the Newsletter together are truly a unique find.

I recently sold the autographed Death of a Dictionary on Ebay (290118795386)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:37 am 

LittleBird

Re: Divided Mind Divided Planet (not a link - just info)

Ed wrote:

The cassette sold on eBay for $565.27 on June 5, 2007.
I'm not that crazy Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:47 pm 

mikizle
Mighty Mike

yeah i love Live but i don't have that kind of money stashed away Shocked

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:42 am 

Ed
Administrator

I would buy it if I lived in the US

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:40 am 

Schimanski
HUR-MAN